1925 Gernsback Store
This exhibit represents what a radio store might have looked like in 1925. The first scheduled commercial radio broadcast was made by KDKA in Pittsburgh on November 2, 1920 to promote the sale of radios. That first broadcast was heard by a meager audience of mostly amateur radio operators.
Radio was an instant phenomenon. By 1925, the era depicted in this radio store exhibit, there were over 6 million radios in homes. Fully half of those radios were made at home from parts purchased at a Radio Store based on radio magazine articles published by Hugo Gernsback.
Suddenly, the world was at people’s fingertips and the “rest is history”.